James H. MacDonald, MD
Dr. James MacDonald joined the physician team at The Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center in August 2004. He has a fellowship in arthroplasty (total joint replacement) from the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. Dr. MacDonald studied for his medical degree at the Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington D.C. in 1998. He moved up to Philadelphia to Temple University Hospital for post-graduate training, and completed his residency in orthopaedic training in 2003.
Dr. MacDonald is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and a member of the orthopaedic medical staff of Anne Arundel Medical Center.
Dr. MacDonald has had several research abstracts presented at national and state medical meetings. Further research and medical publications are on-going.
Dr. Jim MacDonald performs more than 300 total knee replacements a year, six times more than almost every other knee surgeon in our area. And that, he told the News4 I-Team, is one of the reasons he thinks his patients have so few complications.
"The only thing I do is hip and knee replacements. That's it," he said.
The I-Team found Dr. MacDonald using ProPublica’s new “Surgeon Scorecard”website, which shows he has the lowest complication rate for knee replacement surgery in Maryland and Washington, D.C., - putting him in the top 2 percent in the nation.
To view the News4 I-Team broadcast please click here.
Dr. James MacDonald is featured on AAMC Docs Talk: Pain Pain Go Away: Knee and Hip Replacement. He will discuss surgical and non-surgical options for pain relief. Other topics that will be discussed, include knee and hip anatomy, arthritis and pain cause, how to get relief, and joint replacement trends. Click here to watch Docs Talk.
Dr. James MacDonald, was featured in the Chespeake Taste: "New Ways to Fix Old Joints" click here to read the artice.
Dr. James MacDonald, was featured in the Capital News: "Maryland Doctors Using 3D Imaging To Improve Operations" click here to read the article.
Hip and Knee Surgery
American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
Maryland Orthopaedic Association
The Cost of Unnecessary Hospital Days for Medicare Total Joint Replacement Patients Discharging to Skilled Nursing Facilities. Sibia US, Turcotte JJ, MacDonald JH, King PJ, J Arthroplasty, 2017. PMID: 28455180
The Impact of Surgical Technique on Patient Reported Outcome Measures and Early Complications after Total Hip Arthroplasty. Sibia US, Turner TR, MacDonald JH, King PJ, J Arthroplasty, 2016. PMID: 27876253
Incidence, Risk Factors, and Costs for Hospital Returns after Total Joint Replacements. Sibia US, Mandelblatt AE, Callanan MA, MacDonald JH, King PJ, J Arthroplasty, 2016. PMID: 27597429
Who Is Not a Candidate for a 1-Day Hospital-Based Total Knee Arthroplasty? Sibia US, King PJ, MacDonald JH, J Arthroplasty, 2016. PMID: 27491443
Do Shorter Lengths of Stay Increase Readmissions after Total Joint Replacements? Sibia US, Waite KA, Callanan MA, Park AE, King PJ, MacDonald JH, Arthroplasty Today, 2016. PMID: 28378007
Potential Fire Hazard of Bone Cement in the Operating Room: A Case Study. Sibia US, Connors K, Dyckman S, Zahiri HR, George I, Park AE, MacDonald JH, The American Journal of Orthopaedics, 2016. PMID: 28005104
Predictors of Hospital Length of Stay in an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Program for Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. Sibia US, MacDonald JH, King PJ, J Arthroplasty, 2016. PMID: 27067175
Opioid Prescriptions after Total Joint Arthroplasty. Sibia US, Mandelblatt AE, Alexander C, King PJ, MacDonald JH, Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances. (accepted)
Functional Outcomes and Accuracy of Patient Specific Instrumentation for Total Knee Arthroplasty. Stone AH, Sibia US, MacDonald JH, Surgical Innovation. (submitted)
Reducing Length of Stay Does Not Increase Emergency Room Visits or Readmissions in Patients Undergoing Primary Hip and Knee Replacements. Stone AH, Dunn L, MacDonald JH, King PJ, J Arthroplasty (accepted)
Insulin-Dependent Diabetes is an independent Risk Factor for Complications and Readmissions after Joint Replacements. Sibia US, Weltz AS, MacDonald JH, King PJ, Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances (submitted)
Growing Trend Toward Total Hip Arthroplasty for the Treatment of Femoral Neck Fractures: An ACS-NSQIP Analysis. Stone AH, Sibia US, MacDonald JH, King PJ, J Arthroplasty (submitted)
Hospital-Based Outpatient Total Hip Arthroplasty is Safe: An ACS-NSQIP Analysis. Sibia US, Weltz AS, King PJ, MacDonald JH, Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances (submitted)
Knee Arthrodesis: Indications and Review of Current Techniques. MacDonald JH, Lorei MP, Johanson NA, Freiberg AA, Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2006. PMID: 16520366
Primary Constrained Condylar Knee Arthroplasty Without Stems for the Valgus Knee. Anderson JA, Baldini A, MacDonald JH, Pellicci PM, Sculco TP, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 2006. PMID: 1639476
- Acetabular Revisions Without Bone Graft. Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society, Philadelphia, PA, 2000.
- Complications of Spinal Fusion for Thoracic Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. AAOS, 2002.
- Knee Arthrodesis: Indications and Review of Current Techniques. Pennsylvania Ortho Society, 2003.
- Enhanced Perioperative Medical Management for Total Joint Arthroplasty. Florence, Italy, May, 2014.
- Patient specific Instrumentation for TKR. Emerging Concepts in Ortho. Surgery, Annapolis, MD, 2014.
- The Perfect TKR. Cadaveric Demo., Emerging Concepts in Ortho. Surgery, Annapolis, MD, 2015.
Panelist for open discussion:
- Emerging Concepts in Orthopedic Surgery, Annapolis, MD, 2016, 2017.
- Maryland Orthopaedics Association Meeting, Annapolis, MD, 2018 Femoral Revisions in THR
- Multidisciplinary Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS) in Total Joint Replacement: Complication Rates after Improving ERAS to Shorten Length of Stay. American College of Surgeons, Chicago, IL, October 2015.
- Enhanced Recovery after Surgery in Total Joint Replacement. Maryland Orthopaedic Association, Annapolis, MD, February, 2016.
- The Impact of Surgical Technique on Operative and Quality of Life Measures after Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society, Boca Raton, FL, April, 2016.
- Predictors of Hospital Length of Stay in an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Program for Total Hip Arthroplasty. Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society, Boca Raton, FL, April, 2016. (poster)
- Opioid Use and Pain Control After Total Joint Replacement. Emerging Concepts in Orthopaedic Surgery, Annapolis, MD, 2016.
- Enhanced Recovery After Joint Replacement at AAMC. Emerging Concepts in Orthopaedic Surgery, Annapolis, MD, 2016.
- Who is Not a Candidate for a One Day Hospital-based Total Knee Arthroplasty? Eastern Orthopaedic Association, New Orleans, LA, October, 2016.
- The Cost Implications of Unnecessary Inpatient Days for Medicare Total Joint Replacement Patients Discharging to Rehabilitation Facilities. Maryland Orthopaedic Association, February, 2017.
- Incidence, Risk Factors, and Causes of Unplanned Interventions After Total Joint Arthroplasty. Maryland Orthopaedic Association, February, 2018.
- Growing trend toward Total Hip Arthroplasty for the Treatment of Femoral Neck Fractures: An ASC-NSQIP Analysis. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, New Orleans, LA, 2018 (poster).
- Racial Disparities in Perioperative Outcomes during Total Knee Arthroplasty: An ACS-NSCIP Analysis, ACS Quality and Safety Conference, Orlando, FL, July, 2018 (poster)
“A Customized Process for Facilitating Successful Total Knee Replacement with Outcome Analysis”, United Kingdom (gov.uk, ipsum search, GB2505067).
1) A Prospective, Non-randomized, Single Cohort, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Clinical Outcome of Total Knee Arthroplasty Using the Journey II CR Total Knee System
2) Comparison of operative outcomes and quality of life after total knee replacement surgery: Patient specific vs. standard instrumentation
3) A Prospective, Multicenter, Post-Market Clinical Follow-Up Study to Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of the Journey II XR Total Knee System
4) Post-Approval Study of the R3 Biolox delta Ceramic Acetabular System – United States
5) Short, Medium and Long Term Survivorship of Attune™ Primary Total Knee Prostheses
6) A Prospective randomized trial to examine the effectiveness of KneeMD flexion contracture in total knee arthroplasty patients
7) How are prescription opioids used by adult patients following discharge from the hospital? Multicenter trial with Johns Hopkins University.
Director, AAMC Surgical Quality Forum, 2013-present.
Reviewer: The Journal of Arthroplasty.
Media appearance 2015: NBC TV news, Washington DC: Interviewed for highest volume/lowest complication rate in region for TKR (CMS data).
Surgeon Lead/Developer: AAMC Outpatient Arthritis Center. PA-staffed hip and knee center to decrease wait times and provide subspecialized care. Includes a data-collection platform with standardized notes.
“Top Doc” Annapolis: 2009-2017.
OSMC Research/Outcome Committee, 2017.
OSMC Executive Committee, 2015-present.
AAMC Leadership Academy, 2012-2013.
Surgeon lead, TeamSTEPPS for patient safety, 2012.
Introduced image-based custom cutting jigs to AAMC for TKR, 2011.
Introduced ACL retaining TKR to AAMC, 2018
Clinical Operations Committee, OSMC, 2010-2015.
Coordinator, Arthritis CME Conference for hip/knee surgeons, 2006-present.
University of Rochester, Laboratory Technician, Rochester, NY, 1993-1994.
Ogilvy & Mather Direct, Account Executive, New York, NY, 1989-1993.